Prepare Your Biz for Hurricane Season
Guess what June is?
The beginning of Hurricane Season (June 1st-November 30th)!
If you’re a FL native, “this ain’t your first rodeo.” Hurricanes can devastate area homes and businesses. While we’ve been fortunate enough to avoid daunting storms over the past few years, it’s best to get your business prepared in the event we are hit.
In my office, we take safety seriously. The best way to handle potential hurricane weather is to develop a written preparedness plan— a “to-do” list to cover your bases in the event of an emergency.
Draft up a plan, clue in your employees, and hunker down!
- Make plans for the protection of equipment and your location. Battery backups will be important to protect the potential loss of data. Cover major equipment with tarps in case of water intrusion. If there are known recurrent roof leaks, buckets will come in handy and protect floors.
- Develop a staffing policy that identifies essential employees and which of them, if any, must remain on call during a storm. Make sure they have in hand policies, and how to handle potential damages.
- Identify and protect vital records such as accounts receivable, customer records, tax records, and other personnel and administrative documents.
- Review insurance policies to ensure that there is adequate coverage.
- MUST purchase items:
- A battery-operated radio or TV (test reception in building)
- One flashlight per person working during the hurricane
- Extra batteries for both radio and flashlights
- First-Aid kit
- Emergency tool kit, if necessary
- Food and water supplies for staff assigned to the facility during the hurricane. Be sure to include needed utensils
- Portable battery operated cell phone charger to keep you connected
Above all, keep your, your staff, and your families out of harm’s way.
Give ample time to prep your home. Preparation and planning are key in getting through rough weather safely and with minimal damages to homes, businesses, and property. With one month until the 2015 Hurricane Season, let’s get to it!
I highly recommend you must read the eBook on what you need to have for starting a business in Tampa, I believe you’ll get a lot out of it. If you haven’t claimed yours, go and grab it now for free! See you inside – I can’t wait to start working with you! We’re better together!